Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Nutrition Tracking Spreadsheet

As of today, I am officially free to resume my "normal activity."  (See my last post for a bit of the back story on why I had been medically prescribed to do nothing strenuous for the last month.)  This normal activity is going to include a bouldering session later this evening as I resume my normal training for climbing.  In addition to my normal plan for workouts, I am going to pay more attention to my diet.  To that end, I have created a spreadsheet that I thought others might find useful as well.  You can download it here.

The spreadsheet counts the total number of calories as well as the grams of carbohydrates, fat, and protein in your diet.  It is pre-loaded with a variety of foods on the "Food Database" sheet, essentially everything that was in our pantry at the time.  However, you can easily add your own foods just by inserting a food and copying the relevant information from the nutritional information on the package.  The "Overview" sheet displays a dietary summary of any daily information you have entered, including the total number of calories consumed as well as the ratio of carbohydrates, protein, and fat in your diet, expressed as percentages.  You can use this information to adjust your diet according to your goals.

The third spreadsheet, "Daily," is the crux of the matter.  It tracks the food you consume every day.  The most difficult part of using the spreadsheet is simply having the discipline to record food as you consume it as well as portion your food according to serving size.  However, you will be surprised how quickly you learn to estimate portions with accuracy.

My personal plan for this spreadsheet is to track the macronutrient ratio in my current diet with the goal of reducing my carbohydrate consumption and increasing my protein intake.  It could also be used to adjust the amount of fat in your diet, count calories, learn about proper food portioning, or any number of other things.  Feel free to take a look and post a comment if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment