Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Tough Decisions

With my half marathon in St. Louis done, I am moving onto my next training cycle. The big upcoming event is the Tashka Trail 25K/50K this December. I need to decide now whether I will do the 25k (15.5 miles) or the 50k (31 miles).

Originally, I wanted to run the 50K. However I had wanted to run it 'competitively' - meaning, I wanted to run it fast. I also wanted to maintain good health throughout my training - meaning, no weight loss from my already scrawny frame.

To add in another factor to this decision making process, Derek and I would like to do a biggie ice climbing trip in January (more on this later), which means I need to start doing strength training now. Remember how I partially dislocated my shoulder during one of my training runs? Yeah, clearly I need to put on some muscle, but it's pretty dang hard to do that when training for a 50K...

While it makes me feel like I'm giving up before I really even started, I think I'm going to have to run the 25k and hope that it's the right decision. I guess I'll be able to judge better as I start training and see how things feel.

Tashka Trail Run, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment