Monday, October 31, 2011

Track My Training

I hinted in a previous post that Derek and I are planning a big ice climbing trip this January. While the details of that trip are still being hashed out (look forward to some future posts on what all goes into that planning process), our training for the trip officially began today.

Now, Derek has been training pretty hard core since he's been permitted post-surgery. He's been logging his work-outs and nutrition intakes regularly. He's been getting outside to climb as often as possible. In short, my love is looking pretty rock solid right now.

And me? I've just been running. No core work outs. No nutrition tracking. No climbing outside. No nothing.

So it shouldn't have been a surprise this morning when we went outside for our 'hard core' workout in preparation of ice climbing that I flailed in all my weakling glory. But it was. It was surprising, demotivating, and truly pathetic. I actually cried because I felt that pathetic. Now, I'm a bit of a crybaby, so it doesn't take much to get me going. But still. I was amazed at how little of the workout I could actually do.

On the bright side, such a complete and total failure means that any gains I make in my workout will be that much more noticeable - right? Amazing gains or not, these are the things that I want to share with you during this training cycle - the difficulty of the process and the progress made towards a personal fitness goal.

For the "Track My Training" series of posts, I will be posting our work-outs as we progress in the training. When we conclude our training and travel to New Hampshire for our ice climbing trip, I may also post some before and after pictures to show off my massive muscle gains. Only if my 'after' pictures look totally awesome though, because the 'before' pictures we took today were somewhat embarrassing.

Today's Workout 
Warm Up
2 mile run at 13 min 52 sec

4 Sets Each
Calf Raises, 60 seconds
Tool Swings, 60 seconds
Assisted Lock-Off Pull Ups, 10
Plank Walk Ups, 30 seconds
V Ups w/ 10lb, 10
Floor Swipes (Floor wipers) w/ 15lb, 10
Side Planks, 45 second/each
Back Planks, 45 Seconds

I also attempted to do Foot Cuts and Assisted Tool Matches, but those didn't go so well. Will take pictures in the future when my abilities are less embarrassing, as I'm sure writing "Assisted Tool Matches" means exactly nothing to most folks reading this :) A couple of you know what I'm talking about though!

No comments:

Post a Comment