Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Get Psyched

I write this with ice wrapped to the back of my calves, the reluctant admission that what I thought was a "reasonable" workout was, in fact, a bit too intense.  Now in week 6 of training post-surgery, and probably due for a few legitimate rest days, I am holding out for Thanksgiving where a 10-hour drive (one-way) should effectively wreck any real training plans I might have otherwise devised.

By now, my original super-motivation at simply being allowed to move around again has long since worn off.  I see no other option than to intentionally barrage myself with motivation.  So here it is, a list of things to motivate me:

1.  I have the freedom to move however I like.  Two months ago I wasn't even allowed to bend over or stand up quickly.  I choose to celebrate this fact.

2.  It was 85 degrees today.  In case you haven't been keeping up with your calendar, it's mid-November.  The ridiculously warm weather is plenty of encouragement to get out of town and head some place distant to climb in the cold, because that's just way too hot for this time of year.

3.  New gear is slowly trickling into the apartment--long underwear, trail running shoes, gloves, carabiners, picks for the ice tools.  Soon enough, I will get to put it all to good use.

4.  Ueli Steck, Patrick Aufdenblatten, and Steve House.  Even if you're not a climber, you can't help but find these videos inspiring:

Ueli Steck speed climbing the North Face of the Eiger
Patrick Aufdenblatten at Ice World Cup 2009
Steve House free soloing "Repentance" and "Remission" in New Hampshire

5.  A new woody!  Now I've got dedicated space to throw down some bouldering amidst running, core workouts, weight lifting, and anything else I can find to shred some muscles.

6.  My partners Susan (though sick at the moment), Sam, and Chris, are all equally psyched to go ice climbing.  It's a lot easier to stay motivated if you have people to train with and people to climb with.  If nothing else, they keep you honest.

7.  Finally, there's http://www.neice.com, where I can watch the ice come into season from afar until my vicarious experiences can become lived ones.

Alright, training just got a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment