November started out as a fantastic month for me. I was on an evening schedule at work, so I would wake up to sunshine each day and spend the morning outside exercising with Derek. Then I’d have a yummy, healthy lunch before strolling into work for the afternoon and evening. With the exception of the Thanksgiving holiday, I didn’t really drink coffee or alcohol. And, until I got the head cold from hell, things were going pretty great. I felt fantastic, and I felt like I was really getting stronger - check out the massive shoulder muscle gains!
Now that it’s December, I’m back on my normal day shift. I haven’t really settled back into a routine of working out everyday. In fact... I haven’t actually worked out in... ehh....hmmm... crap. Since the weekend before this past one. Crap. And thanks to that along with some poor food choices, my body has pretty much fallen apart on me. I’ve had a headache for days. My stomach is constantly rolling. I feel tired and achy. My low back is being a total pain. Did I mention that I’ve had a headache for DAYS?!
Being the list maker that I am, I have identified the following contributing factors to my total body failure:
- ME. I take full responsibility for lacking the discipline to maintain my own health this month. But the rest of this list definitely didn’t help...
- I wake up in the dark and come home in the dark. No matter how much I mentally prepare myself for this each winter, it leaves me depressed. I openly admit that. And depression sucks.
- It’s a lot harder to stay motivated without Coach Derek to tell me what to do during my workout. I really love working out with him. If I could hire him to be my personal life coach I would. Since I can’t afford a personal life coach, I’m glad I married him instead (okay, I might be glad I married him for other reasons, too. i.e. I love him and all that mush)
- I come home exhausted and grumpy from working in front of a computer all day. It’s much easier to work out when I wake up naturally than when I get home after the 7:45AM to 4:45PM servitude that is our typical American day.
- The head cold from hell never really went away. I am still coughing up phlegm from my chest. Seriously.
- Final Finals. I am soooooo glad to be done with grad school. But in finishing grad school, I ditched out on some weekend opportunities to get outside & climb so that I could stay locked in the library and finish up my finals with style. I don’t regret this decision. I wanted to finish school well. But it did contribute to the total body failure.
- I fell off the no-coffee-no-beer bandwagon. Now, I don’t think coffee and beer are evil - I think they are absolutely fabulous. In fact, I LOVE coffee and beer. Unfortunately, my insides do not feel the same way - and these two beverages stimulate some horrid acid reflux along with less than pleasant IBS. When I indulge, I constantly feel the need to vomit and I have a horrible time sleeping. And eating. And moving. In order to maintain my health, I really shouldn’t drink them.
I need a reboot. I need to reset my system and restart my routine. And above all, I need to be disciplined and actually stick to my healthy habits. My next list will be how to fix this!