Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Recipe: Peanut Butter Pasta

When the opportunity presents itself, I like to eat good food.  When I'm in the field, I don't see why things should be any different.  In light of that, I'm going to be posting a few simple, field-ready recipes over the next couple weeks.   I encourage you to try them yourselves, in the woods or at home, and I welcome your feedback.  To get started, this week's recipe is peanut butter pasta or "gado gado."



Peanut Butter Pasta

Ingredients
Pasta (penne or rotini work well)
Peanut Butter
Soy Sauce
White Vinegar
Brown Sugar

Extras
Vacuum-sealed/canned chicken
Bell Pepper or cucumber
Brocolli
Carrots
Onion
Ginger
Garlic

Pre-trip
The sauce can be prepared ahead of time if it will be used in a day or two.   Combine equal parts peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, and brown sugar.  Combine this mixture with an equal quantity of water.  The sauce should be smooth and creamy.

At camp
Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain, add sauce, heat through, and serve.

Extras
This meal is great as described above, but there are plenty of ways to add some pizzazz depending on how much you're willing to carry, when you'll be eating the meal, and your refrigeration options.  If you need to, you can substitute white sugar or honey for the brown sugar.  If you want some more protein, canned or vacuum-sealed chicken or dry roasted peanuts are great additions.  Bell pepper or cucumber served sliced on the side is a nice counter-point.  Alternately, diced broccoli or carrots mixed directly into the sauce provide a pleasant crunch and some fiber.  A sauteed onion, powdered or sauteed garlic, and powdered or sauteed ginger are nice flourishes in the spice department.  You can substitute rice for pasta for a gluten-free alternative.  Finally, as applies to most of my recipes, any amount of crushed red pepper or chili powder desired can help add a little kick and clear the sinuses

5 comments:

  1. Oh my i'm going to try that recipe..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I'm a pb addict, I am all over this idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still trying to wrap by brain around pasta and peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this for supper tonight and we loved it. I am blogging about it on my food blog on Dec 30th. http://wecanbegintofeed.blogspot.com

    Lovely, thanks so much for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all for the positive feedback! This is one of my go-to recipes because it takes so little effort and I've pretty much always have the ingredients on hand. Susan was skeptical at first, too, but now I think she likes it even more than I do!

    ReplyDelete