Monday, April 30, 2012

Outward Bound

Since Derek and I have returned from way out west, we have visited with family and moved into our next residence - the North Carolina Outward Bound base camp at Cedar Rock located in Pisgah National Forest.

Our future is a bit uncertain still. We've been interviewing for different jobs, and should be hearing back soon from potentials soon. Until then, I hesitate to post anything about our plans. However, I would like to share what it's like to live at base camp.

Life here is amazing and challenging to me, all at once. We live here with all of the Outward Bound employees - field instructors, administrators, logistics staff, and one awesome cook to feed us all. These individuals vary in age and backgrounds, and it has been so wonderful to get to know them all a bit. There is a lodge with a kitchen, a communal bathhouse, a warehouse, a few rows of housing units, and a handful of other buildings.

Each day we work for our keep, helping out with whatever tasks need to be done to prep for the season. It has been wonderful to be so active during my work day - I've packed  bags, re-shelved supplies, done trail maintenance, and even gone climbing. The food is absolutely delicious. The daily views are amazing.

I'd say the most challenging aspect of living here for me is not that you live and work in the same place,  but that so much space is entirely communal and the people I'm sharing this space with are largely strangers to me. It's somewhat strange to me to know that I might run into someone just while going to the bathroom. It's not bad really, just not a situation I've really ever found myself in before. Obviously I did not live in a dorm in college. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough.

Well, it's time to start a  new day. I'm off to the woods again :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a change. Sounds like a good experience though. I would have a hard time sharing a bathroom but would love to have someone else cook my meals:)

    ReplyDelete