Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July Update

This summer has been zipping by! Derek and I are scrambling to figure out what we'll be doing in the fall, but here's life in a nutshell so far...

Life at NCOBS is AWESOME! I love getting to spend my days working outside, especially when Derek and I get to work together. Derek has been instructing some courses, teaching some rock climbing, and guiding through Peregrine during his days off. I've been packing backpacks and food, driving hug vans with trailers on tiny dirt roads, and making new friends. I've also been able to join in some of the rock climbing instruction which is especially awesome.

Living at base camp (intensely communal living in the middle of Pisgah Forest) has taught me a few things I'd love to share:
  1. ALWAYS shake out your towel (it's never fun to see a spider. it's less fun to see a spider when you are NAKED)
  2. Snakes live in surprising places
  3. There are two types of people: Coffee Drinkers, and the Others. They do not mix well in the morning. Guess which one I am....
  4. It's hard to get a library card when your residence is 'the woods up the road' - thankfully, the librarians took pity on me.
While most of our future plans are still up in the air, we do have some definite things on the calendar. I'm enrolled to take my Single Pitch Instructor course with the AMGA (woohoo!!), and I'm wait-listed to take my WFR course & exam with Landmark Learning. You may or may not know about my previous attempt to take a WFR, and how badly it failed....

Derek is hoping to go to Patagonia this winter for training with NCOBS. They offer a few courses there every year and Derek would love to get on the instructional staff. I'd just love to visit! Maybe next year for me :)

That's it for now.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you are enjoying your summer so far :)

    ReplyDelete