Thursday, February 28, 2013

Adventure Takes A Sick Day

The Look.
If you are following along my latest narrative, I'm going to jerk you forward to the present day for a post. I'm taking my SPI Exam in just 9 days now. As I'm sitting here in front of the computer, I look a bit like Derek does on a typical high-allergy day: I have two tissues shoved up my nose, a plethora of over-the-counter cold remedies by my side, and a very annoyed look on my face. Those of you who know Derek know exactly the look I'm talking about.

I'm struggling with whether or not I made the right call for tomorrow – I decided to stay home and try to recuperate rather than go get another climbing day in anticipation of my exam. You see, I'm one of those obsessive studiers - you know that annoying kid in class who always does the reading, has the chapters outlined, asks annoying questions in class, and always, ALWAYS shows up at least 15 minutes before it's time. You may assume that I'm also one of those smart kids because of my nerdy, studying ways, but really, I was always one of the dumb kids. And that's why I study my ass off. Learning doesn't come very easily to me. I enjoy it, but I have to earn it.

So, now I'm sitting here. Having a mild freak out. Am I going to be ready in time? What if I don't get to go climbing again before the test? My brain is telling me that it's best to stay home, get better, get a few more days in, and just chill the F#%K out. My butterfly belly is reminding me that I was in Special Ed during grade school, and I need to work a hell of a lot harder than anyone else to make the grade.

Yeah, seriously, I was in the sloooooow class until 2nd or 3rd grade when I finally figured out that whole reading thing. And now I'm a librarian. Who is also trying to be a climbing guide. Go figure.

Anyway. It's okay. I do know that I'm going to be fine. Really. I have been putting in the time, I'm going to keep putting in the time. This is just a blip. Even my subconscious knows, deep, deep down, that if I fail, it's not going to be from a lack of trying.

How do I know this? Because I had a nightmare about failing the exam, and the reason I failed in my nightmare was because I had really bad hair. My mom was in the dream, and she told me so. She tried to make me wear a hat but I refused, and then I failed the exam because of my bad hair. Clearly, my subconscious is more worried about my hair than it is about my skills.

I'm going to go drink some orange juice...

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! Feel better soon and relax! Your brain works better when it's relaxed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty!! It's so fun to see another lady climber checking out my blog :)

      Delete
  2. I see your on the same boat as me, being sick sucks. I hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete